Monday, February 14, 2011

The Blazer

The suit became the "new uniform for the afternoon and evening" for ladies in 1915 after Coco Chanel gifted the world with a range of menswear inspired womens clothing. And then military inspired clothing during the war in 1914.

And then came the blazer.

Military inspired blazers and 80's style power shoulders came back with a vengeance in '09 when Balmain flooded  Paris spring fashion week runways with them.

But the blazer is forever. Dressed up or down, with flats or heels, in silk, wool cashmere and jersey. Everyone should have at least one. Jennifer Aniston rocks them to casual perfection...who actually looks that good getting on a plane? Emmanuelle Alt, Editor-in-chief at Vogue Paris, who is rarely seen without a Balmain piece on, says "Forget trendy designer labels. Jeans, a sweater or a t-shirt worn under a jacket that seems welded to you. When it’s just right, when you don’t see the effort, it’s irresistible" (I guess it helps to know Christophe Decarnin).

I may or may not try to recreate this exact outfit when the blazer I won on eBay this morning arrives. I may then find out that I am not Jennifer Aniston and while I may be 17 years her junior I do not have a body to rival hers and my blazer isn't a $2000 Balmain one. Alas, I don't earn Balmain money...I barely earn ASOS money...and with my travel plans for this year i'm living off Kmart money. I am however an opportunist and ruthless auction bidder and scored a beautiful Elizabeth and James blazer for under $100. I am now eagerly awaiting its delivery...its going to be 10 days and the anticipation may very well kill me.

If it kills me.

Bury me in that blazer.

  Best Blogger Tips

6 comments:

  1. Great blazer!
    Zara has a similar one at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tell you, I cannot wait until the first Zara store opens in Australia. Until then I'm forced to travel overseas to shop there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job with the E&J ebay find- I love scoring stuff like that! I really like your blog, I am definitely following :)

    Btw, if your header a tattoo?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much! I'm heading over to your blog right now.
    Loving the ebay find...it takes days of trawling and many disappointments to nab a good bargain but ain't it worth it when you do!

    Yes, my header is a tattoo, its on my innder bicep, i'm going to post about it in the next few days :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it ... great post

    Would love if you visit my blog.
    www.world-of-acim.blogspot.com

    Feel free to follow me if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ACIM! Just started following your blog. xx

    ReplyDelete