Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Little Bit of Louboutin

Source: Dossier Journal
The Style Issue of the New Yorker ran a profile, not long ago on a man. My man. THE MAN. Christian Louboutin.  Thus rendering the long post I had already drafted, outlining the thousand-and-one points of his work which justify my existence, moot.


To quote Lauren Collins; "With several swoops of his pen, Louboutin has managed to make Manolo Blahnik’s princessy slingbacks look as if they were meant for ladies who spend their days eating charity lunches of chicken salad and melon balls." 


If you have not already, follow the link on the first line to the original profile, it is beautifully written, clever and just perfect. I stumbled across the article when sitting down to write a homage to one of the Kings of Sole and was left feeling that witty and sharp phrases that I had been enthralled with only moments before were now stale, weak and lacking in the necessary je na sais quoi that a Louboutin post simply must have.


I had been bested. 


So rather than try and compete, because I was not able to interview him...clearly that is the only reason that Lauren Collins' article trumps my own, not that she is an accomplished writer who has been a staff writer at the New Yorker for 8 years or came to there from Vogue. 


Christian Louboutin by Felix Broede
So while I dwell on the incredible mediocrity of my own writing and lament the fact that I will probably (note the glimmer of hope) never get closer to the man than to be wearing his work, I give you Christian Louboutin's top 10 quotes, in his own words.

1. "I am not producing pills to cure people, so I feel that the whole system should be slightly joyful."

2. "I'll do shoes for the lady who lunches, but it would be, like, a really nasty lunch, talking about men."

3. "My favorite sound is definitely mules. If it was an instrument, it's really ping—the touch of the black keys of the piano." 


Victoria Beckham in Louboutin Double Platform Knotted Gressimo Mule Peep Toe for Glamour Magazine
4. "One thing I detest, I have to say, is when a shoe is too soft, and it's molding to the foot. This is quite disgusting. And I really, really hate incredibly long shoes, where the last is very pointy, almost like Aladdin."
5. "The shiny red color of the soles has no function other than to identify to the public that they are mine. I selected the color because it is engaging, flirtatious, memorable and the color of passion."


Rasmussen Photography - Christian Louboutin 'Henry' d'Orsay Pumps
6. "Yes, I wanted to be a shoe designer, but I never thought it could be a profession. But what was the alternative? Doctor? Too dirty! Air hostess? Maybe not! Then someone gave me a book on Roger Vivier and, cherie, instantly I knew that was it!"

7. "The core of my work is dedicated not to pleasing women but to pleasing men."
Piper-Heidsieck Champagne 'Le Rituele' Box Set
8. "I hate the concept of the clog! It's fake, it's ugly, and it's not even comfortable! And I hate the whole concept of comfort! It's like when people say, 'Well, we're not really in love, but we're in a comfortable relationship.' You're abandoning a lot of ideas when you are too into comfort. 'Comfy'—that's one of the worst words! I just picture a woman feeling bad, with a big bottle of alcohol, really puffy. It's really depressing, but she likes her life because she has comfortable clogs."

9. "The shoe is very much an X-ray of social comportment"

10. "When a woman buys a pair of shoes, she never looks at the shoe. She stands up and looks in the mirror, she looks at the breast, the ass, from the front, from the side, blah blah blah. If she likes herself, then she considers the shoe."


Cara Grogan for Agent Provocateur wearing Christian Louboutin
    
Best Blogger Tips

2 comments:

  1. I understand your passion for the artist - A real talent - I love the shoes, each one seems to be a piece of art!

    ReplyDelete