Monday, March 7, 2011

Slowly Slowly Catchy Monkey



This is a something that my mother has been saying to me for as long as I can remember. However, me being a true product of my generation I want everything now, I want the high paying job, the freedom to travel, the $15,000 shoe collection. I want it now. I have always wanted it now. I used to rush through my morning piano practices, thinking that if I played them faster that my practice would be over quicker...but alas, half an hour is still half an hour, no matter how many times you massacre Beethoven's greatest accomplishments. My mother was forever having to tell me to slow down, to relax and remind me that sometimes, you just have to be patient.

Patience is, unfortunately not one of my strong suits.

Don't make me wait. Ever.

But this time it has paid off, so I must thank you all, for the extreme finger crossing and well wishes in which i'm sure you all took part. The aforementioned opportunity has come to pass and the perseverance and potentially hollow promises to a multitude of deities (just trying to make sure all bases were covered) has paid off.

That's right, sometimes it does work out like your parents tell you (but don't tell them that, they have been saving a very special "told you so dance" for the past 20 years, lying in wait for a moment just like this.) Sometimes the planets line up, the angels do whatever it is that they do to make awesome stuff happen and then awesome stuff does happen. A new job. A new opportunity, which has lead to me feeling like i'm moving forward, like i'm growing up and coming into my own. Saying yes makes all the difference.

My new job means that I will be on the road a lot, spending a lot of time between appointments renewing and re-enforcing my already unhealthily co-dependent relationships with Sinatra, Morrissey, Lennon, McCartney and a multitude of other great men without whom I simply could not exist. They collectively create the soundtrack to my life, give me backing music when necessarily and cause me to spontaneously burst into unchoreographed and not entirely graceful dance routines which usually end with me falling down and injuring myself or being stared by some bemused stranger on the street. I like to think that they are staring at the raw talent of my dancing.

Forgive me, I digress.

New opportunities like this are a BIG DEAL. Its very tough to push yourself out of your comfort zone and into a world where you don't know anyone and don't know anything about the company other than what you've been able to Google. You feel like a complete loser and are catapulted back to your primary school memories, just like the first day at a new school your shoes are too shiny, your uniform too crease-free, your pencil case too ungraffitied. You are a n00b, lacking experience, skill and knowledge in your new field. You just have to put on your big girl pants, do your best and hope that the other kids play nice.

Its still 4 weeks before I walk out of the doors of my current company ending a 2.5 year relationship.  its scary. I've been here for a long time, i've made a lot of friends, know everyone, have a comfortable corner of the office which I share with my boss and a pinup board of photos, magazine cutouts, business cards and other awesome stuff that will now never be completed.

Moving on is hard.

To my parents, I finally listened and yes, you were right. Yep, I just said that. That just happened. Cue parental dance of victory, lets hope that you guys are more graceful than me.

Thank you Mum. Thank you Dad. For pushing me to take chances, for believing in me even when I failed, for supporting me even when I was doing things that you knew I wouldn't stick at and telling me that you are proud of me no matter what.

Love, your little monkey.

When I stop posting photos like this you will know that I have started to take myself too seriously and a well aimed slap to the head is hereby requested.
Best Blogger Tips

3 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful post and I soooo know what you are talking about, how you are feeling. My work situation is very complicated right now and I'm trying something new, that I never did before. I work at a million small projects, but I can tell you one thing, may be two :D : CHANGE IS THE BEST and THE JOY DANCE IS WAY BETTER THAN THE I TOLD YOU SO DANCE. So good look and smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. im so happy i stumbled upon this post after a bad day... i always dream about the christian louboutins and month long vacations without focusing on the patience and perseverance necessary to get to the next level. Your story is a real pick me up. Congrats on the new opportunity and keep sharing your insight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much, I'm so glad that my post rings true for both of you!
    Here's to taking opportunities and having the patience to save for the Louboutins purchased whil on a month long holiday to Paris!

    Xxx

    ReplyDelete